Tapioca Express Inspired Fried Calamari Heads
🔸 1 bag frozen Squid Tentacles (12 oz)
🔸 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
🔸 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
🔸 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
🔸 1/2 tsp Salt
🔸 1/8 tsp Cayenne Powder
🔸 1 cup Tapioca Starch (use more if needed)
🔸 Thai Basil (garnish)
🔸 Vegetable or Canola Oil
🔸 Sweet Chili Sauce
1. Make sure the Squid Tentacles are fully defrosted before starting. Wash and pat them dry with a paper towel.
2. In a small bowl add 1/2 tsp Onion Powder, 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder, 1/2 tsp Black Pepper, 1/2 tsp Salt, and 1/8 tsp Cayenne Powder. Mix it together. Sprinkle half over the Squid Tentacles, give it a mix, sprinkle the rest of the half, and give it a final mix. Set it aside for 10 minutes.
3. Add 1 cup of Tapioca Starch in a large ziplock bag and add the Squid Tentacles. Seal the bag and shake vigorously to evenly coat them.
4. Deep fry at 350° F for a few minutes until golden. Do not overcrowd when frying, do it in batches. Remove from the oil and drain on a paper towel. Transfer to a large bowl and lightly season with some Salt and Cayenne Powder. Toss by push flipping the bowl a few times to ensure it’s all seasoned.
5. Move the fried Squid Tentacles to a plate. In the same oil, fry a handful of Thai Basil for 5-6 seconds to garnish. Enjoy this with a side of Sweet Chili Sauce!