Banh Bot Chien - Vietnamese Fried Rice Flour Cake
🔸 1 Tbsp Tapioca Starch
🔸 1 cup Rice Flour
🔸 ¼ tsp Salt
🔸 1 stalk Green Onion
🔸 2 Eggs
🔸 1 ½ cup + ¼ tsp Water
🔸 Vegetable Oil
🔸 ½ cup Carrots
🔸 ½ cup Daikon
🔸 2 + 1 Tbsp Sugar
🔸 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
🔸 3 Tbsp + ½ Tbsp White Vinegar
🔸 Thai Chili (optional)
1. To make the sauce: Combine 2 Tbsp Soy Sauce, 1⁄2 Tbsp Vinegar, 1 Tbsp Sugar, 1⁄4 tsp Water, and some chopped Thai Chili.
2. To make the pickled veggies: Place your shredded Carrots and Daikon in a small bowl and add 2 Tbsp Sugar and 3 Tbsp White Vinegar. Mix and set aside for 30 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, add 1 cup Rice Flour, 1 Tbsp Tapioca Starch, 1⁄4 tsp Salt, 1 1⁄2 cups Water, and 1 tsp Vegetable oil. Mix well until the batter becomes a smooth consistency.
4. Using a microwavable square or rectangle tupperware, brush a little bit of Vegetable Oil all over the base and then pour the batter in. You want to use a lid that has a small air vent, if you don’t have one, cover the tupperware with saran wrap and take a fork and puncture through twice. Microwave for 5 minutes, wait 1 minute, and then 5 minutes again. Do NOT microwave 10 minutes straight. If your microwave is strong do 4 minutes instead of 5.
5. Remove the Rice Flour Cake from the tupperware and let it cool for 15 minutes.
6. Trim the edges with a knife and cut the cake into squares.
7. Place the Rice Flour Cake in a bowl and mix it with 1 tsp of Light Soy Sauce.
8. In a wok on medium high heat, add 2-3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil and fry your Rice Flour Cake for 5-6 minutes on each side until golden brown.
9. Crack 2 eggs in the empty spaces in your pan and break the yolks to bind the squares together. Cook until the Eggs are slightly done.
10. Add a handful of chopped Green Onions and continue cooking until Eggs are fully cooked. Enjoy this by dipping it in your dipping sauce and eating the pickled veggies with it!